Okay people...let me give everyone a little reminder course on how to tip when you go out to eat. I know that I probably don't have to give this reminder to all of the wonderful people who read this, but I am going to anyway. I think this is just a way for me to vent and get this crappy night I had off of my chest.
Okay, let me start with the fact that $2.00 DOES NOT cover every single type of tip you should give!!!!! If your bill is $47.12 you SHOULD NOT tip $2.00! You should tip $9.40, 20% of what your bill is, or leave $9.00 that's fine too. I know that the standard tip used to be 15% of your bill, but sales tax has gone up which means that the amount you should tip has gone up as well. Sales tax in Indiana is now 7% so you should be tipping 17% not 10% or 5% or 2% or NOTHING like I got the other night. If you want to be pissed off at the world that's fine, but I came in here to make some money and since I only make $2.13 an hour I would appreciate it if you would respect me enough and the effort that I am putting in to wait on you. If I do a crappy job then leave me $2.00, but it is just flat out rude to leave nothing.
I know that I shouldn't complain and that every penny I am making is all extra and going to pay off debt like Dave Ramsey told us to, but I just get so darn frustrated with people. Don't they know that people who ONLY wait tables need to make a living too? They can't live off of $2.13 an hour. And if they are having a crappy week like me (making less than $100.00 in two days when I should have made double that) they won't be able to pay their bills.
I know that gas prices are high and it is affecting every area of our lives, but if you can't afford to tip your server then DON'T GO OUT TO EAT!!!!! Chances are that you make a lot more money on the hour than we do.
Oh, and one last thing....don't talk down to us like we are nothing, like we are your servants, like we are lowly people because we are waiting tables. For those people who don't know I hold two (that's right, I said TWO) bachelor's degrees. I paid my way through school waiting tables. We are there because when the money is good you can't beat it and you can work your schedule around whatever else you need to do. So show us some common courtesy. Use your manners because we sure as heck are using ours the whole time, don't snap your fingers at us or flag us down from the other side of the restaurant, and my biggest pet peeve...don't say you NEED something! UGH! Okay, you might need water but you don't need a beer and you don't need a dessert and you don't need those chili cheese fries! You WOULD LIKE TO HAVE them, but I know when God was creating things he didn't make those things a necessity.
Okay, I will get down off my soap box now. I just had a REALLY crappy night at work and everyone else is in bed (where I should be since I have to be up in 6 hours) and I needed to get that off my chest!
Peace out homies!
1 comment:
Jenny: You tell'em! Some people just have NO CLUE what us waitress go thru do they? I know how you feel I've been there an done that too. WE LOVE YOU! And YOU ROCK!
Post a Comment