Have you ever had a day that you just could not get out from under? A day where no matter what you did you never felt better. What avenues did you look toward to help you feel better? Did you turn to television or food? Did you turn to a friend or your spouse? Maybe you called Miss Chleo? What about God? Did you call to him? That is exactly what He wants you to do not only during difficult times, but also during wonderful times.
One thing that I have learned in my few years on this earth is that unfortunate things are going to happen. People are going to die, your feelings are going to be hurt, things are not always going to go your way, and (as my mom always says) the fair only comes once a year and is usually preceded by county. To us life doesn't always seem fair. If you read my previous blog about If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans then you know that I personally wouldn't have chosen to have had three miscarriages, endometriosis, or cervical cancer, but I have been dealt this hand for a reason. No, I don't know what that reason is, but God does. He knows every breath of our life before it is even breathed by us. He knows every hair on our head and holds every tear we have cried in his hands. WOW! I know I have cried a lot of tears in my almost 32 years...think of how many oceans He holds in his hands of all of the people in the world. Like any loving and caring parent I know He wishes that he could take away all of that pain, but as we all learn in life we have to endure those difficult times to learn and grow. As our children do not always listen to our advice we, unfortunately, will not always seek God's advice or do His will. But, like most parents are always there when we stumble and fall God is ALWAYS there waiting for us to come back, to make the right choice, and to open his loving arms to us. I know that I will make mistakes and not always make him proud, but I am forever thankful that He will love me and you and everyone who seeks him unconditionally.
Are you wondering where this came from? Well, it is summer break and even though I used to despise reading as a child I do now enjoy picking up a good book. This summer I have been able to be poolside with a good book. I just finished reading Every Day Deserves A Chance by Max Lucado. If you have not read this book you really need to! It is WONDERFUL!!!! I have a few excerpts from the book that I would like to share.
"We indwell a garden of grace. God's love sprouts around us like lilacs and towers over us like Georgia pines, but we go on weed hunts. How many flowers do we miss in the process? If you look long enough and hard enough, you'll find something to bellyache about. So quit looking! Lift your eyes off the weeds. Major in the grace of God." (pg. 28)
How true is that? Life is not always going to go our way. We are going to get stuck in traffic, or be late for work, or forget something important. It is going to happen. Take it as it comes to you and run with it. Don't be angry with it and try to battle it. RUN with it! It might not turn out to be an obstacle after all. It might turn out to be a wonderfully disguised blessing!
An excerpt about work:
"You ought to be glad for the troubles on your job because they provide about half your income. If it were not for the things that go wrong, the difficult people with whom you deal, and the problems of your working day, someone could be found to handle your job for half of what you are being paid. So start looking for more troubles. Learn to handle them cheerfully and with good judgment, as opportunities rather than irritations, and you will find yourself getting ahead at a surprising rate. For there are plenty of big jobs waiting for people who are not afraid of troubles." (pg. 29)
This next excerpt really hit home for me. I always say that I don't understand some of the things in the world that happen as I am sure others of you do the same. How can anyone understand someone abusing an innocent defenseless child. And there are never explanations for those people wanting children so badly, but can't have them and others who look at children as a government paycheck and they keep popping them out left and right.
An excerpt about looking at life's situations:
"'We are looking at the wrong side of this today, from the wrong side. Someday we shall see it from another standpoint, and shall understand.' Indeed we shall. Until then, focus less on the tangled threads and more on the hand of the weaver. Don't let the bumps in the race keep you from the awards ceremony at the end." (pg. 68)
"In giving Jesus no chance, they gave their day no chance." (pg. 74)
The next time the person you work with that you can't stand because they are annoying gets on your nerves, remember that God loves them as much (that's right I said AS MUCH) as He loves you. The next time you are frustrated in a long line at the grocery store show others around you God's love, kindness, and patience. The next time you wake up and whine about going to work say a prayer of thanks that you actually have a job and are able to go to that job. And remember the next time you go to pay those dreaded bills to praise God for allowing you to have a home where you receive those bills. It is so easy to take it all for granted and to become self-absorbed and see only gray, but remember that with God you can see color in ALL things!
If you look hard enough and long enough you WILL find something to complain about!
No comments:
Post a Comment